Sunday, March 24, 2013

Blink of an Eye: Metomorphs?


This was January 2011 and the new toys for the time were showing up.  This toyline appeared at Meijer (grocery store like K-Mart or Wal-Mart) and went on clearance not long after.  Seemed like it might have had some sort of media behind it with a website to go to (though I barely checked it out) and a story.  They had little bugs on wheels (I think) and then these: Metomorphs.


They had a couple different bugs, but I went with the spider.  Like Beast Wars of old, these are bascially Transformers that turn into humanoid...sorta things.  In this case it seems they're all organic without a single bit of robot involved.


The transformation is a simple matter of folding.  The legs fold into the butt and the spider head on the chest just flips up, then you lay 'em down.  So easy they didn't even give you directions!



It's very articulated with pretty much everything being on a ball joint.  You can move those legs however you like!  As you can see, it's pretty small and works well for a monsterous spider in any scale.




It's too bad these didn't last, 'cause the toy worked out pretty well.  I think the lack of advertisement kinda killed this before it did anything, 'cause I only ever saw it at Meijer.  Some folks spread the word among Transformers fans, but that wasn't enough to get these little buggers a following.  Kinda hard to start a toyline out of the blue, ya know?  You may still see one of these collecting dust in a clearance section, but by now I doubt it.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think these ever saw the light of day down here in NZ, only the 2-pack insect figurines from the Nara line.

    A shame, or maybe a blessing cause bugs inside the house freak me out and I go on a rampage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only ones I can't stand are those hundred-legged centipedes that run across the floor at 70mph. Those die on sight.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Woulda posted this sooner if I had the blog back then! Sadly I think these have been clearanced out by now.

      Delete
  3. I still sometimes kick myself for not getting the cockroach. Humanoid monster roach that's impossible to kill would have made a fun figure, but I heard some complaints of these guys having loose joints, or even aging arms or legs that would just fall off. Yours looks good though. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, yeah, definitely never saw those down here in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete