Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Alexx Shorts: RoC Mole Pod with Terra Viper (8/9/09)


Well, this is it: I've finally decided to start reposting my old "Alexx Shorts" G.I. Joe reviews.  They're the reviews that lead to what eventually became this blog!  I'll be posting them in straight copy-and-paste format, separating them with bold dotted lines so you know where they begin and end, and then I'll post some final thoughts on what I think of the figure currently.

For those unfamiliar: I used to take random pictures here and there, but by the time the Rise of Cobra toys came out, I was getting annoying with how much people had been bashing the figures which were clearly better than the previous 25th Anniversary offerings.  I set out to show people how awesome they were, and things went from there, forming into "Alexx Shorts", named so because I thought I was going to keep to a short format with a few pictures.  I did not do that.



This might have been my first negative review:

-------------------------------------------------------------


I have had my eye on this ever since they showed the prototype at whatever toy show it was first shown at. I've looked at it each time I go out looking for new figures. Until now, I've passed it up, mostly for one reason: the price. The prices on these figures have been in the decent range for what figures cost nowadays, but these vehicles just do not live up to 15 bucks yet! Especially not when one of them came in a two pack with another vehicle previously, and the only thing they changed was added missile launchers (Armadillo).

I'm kinda sad to say that this mole pod doesn't really live up to the price point, either. Lets start out with how it looks, though. First off, you've got the prototype on the back with a changed figure and dirty details on the pod:



You can see the proto Terra Viper using the rest of the Serpentor parts, making him much more huge, originally. I think I agree with the "rock" look that they finalized, using Croc Master's torso, but sadly that resulted in some funny looking legs from Serpentor. They were kinda thin thighs to begin with, but they look even worse here, not filling up the hip holes on the figure. Makes him look big on top, but then narrow down to a stick. Not terrible, but there were probably better legs to choose from.




(Ignore the hatchets. I just thought they looked cool).

Like I said, not terrible, and you can pull off some cool stuff because Croc Master just has that intimidating head:



The biggest problem, once again, is the stuff you get for the price point: NOTHING. No stand, no weapons, nadda. The vehicle two packs gave us two figures with at least some pistols or a rifle or something!  15 bucks and the Terra Viper gets squat? Come on! So here's two suggestions:



The cockpit to the pod is even pretty roomy, and a little gun clipped to the inside would have been a cool feature! That way he could have popped out and fired rather than go "boogabooga!"

Anyway, with nothing for the Terra Viper, you're left with the rest of the 15 bucks being spend on the pod itself! So how does that stack up?






Sadly, the detailed dirt is much more sparse on here than on the back of the package. You get stickers, though, and more proof that the Techno Vipers are friggin' idiots to have to be told these things:



DUUUUUAAAAAHHHHH OKAY BOSS.


Aaaaaand, the standard "no step" stickers that everything has. At one point I just stopped putting those things on there, especially on the FANG where they give you a "no step" sticker to put around the whole cockpit so you can't even get into the thing! At least there isn't a "no step" sticker for ever part of it, like the planes that have, like, three on each wing! Thanks, warning guys, I won't step on the wings.

So there you go! 15 bucks later and you get an accessory-less figure and the mole pod, which spins the drill when you push it and....fires a missile out of the front of the drill. I do still like the looks of this thing, and it would be awesome for 10 bucks, but at 15 I gotta decline to suggest this. You just don't get very much, and the pod is mostly a looker and not really all that fun to play with. There are no opening pannels to work on, no cool details inside the cockpit (not even a sticker to put on the computer screen inside) and the drill doesn't even move all that fast unless you're REALLY pushing that sucker. I was looking forward to this, but I gotta say: NOT worth the money! I can't believe that inflation has done this much! The rest of the line seems normally priced, but these little squirts are just not cutting it at 15 and no accessories when they were just around for 12 to 15 with two vehicles, two figures, and a few accessories (and those vehicles were way more fun with all the extra details that this pod lacks). Really sad to say it, but I almost regret the purchase, and I am REAL easy to please, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

This one is interesting, after the fact.  I can certainly see what I was thinking, back then.  We had JUST gotten off the absolute steal of two small vehicles with two figures and accessories for fifteen bucks, during the 25th anniversary - so OF COURSE I was gona be ticked at this.  Times change, prices increase, so I suppose I can look back and see how these things go.  Sometimes a company waits to raise prices, and they hit a loss for a bit before they do.  So it's possible the 25th vehicles were starting to lose money at that price, so they had to raise it.  Regardless: It smarts!  That's a HUGE hike for very little in return. 

I'm not exaggerating, either.  I mean, some of it is opinion: I feel like this vehicle could have done more interesting things.  The other part is straight facts: The vehicle shoots something and spins - that's it.  Like Past Alexx said: There's no opening panels, no interesting features, no details on the inside, etc.  It's a boring shell.  On top of that, though the figure is cool, he comes with nothing.  It's a super boring release with only a semi-decent figure repaint as a very minor saving grace, but not enough to bother with a purchase.

There's is a light at the end of the mole pod's tunnel, though: It's not a terrible vehicle, after the fact.  Once removed from store prices and sold on the cheap in the after market, it's a decent vehicle to mess with, especially if you paint it.  I was hard on it at the time, and for good reason, but I feel a little better about it once some time was put between us. 

So, if you can find it cheap, I can't agree with Past Alexx in terms of skipping it.  It's actually kinda simplistic fun!  Especially if you want to customize it (and I'm sure you can find some at "customizing price").  I can't disagree with Past Alexx from his standpoint, but time has been a bit kinder to this little dud, so at least give it a look if you run across one.  After all: There aren't really any other drill cars!  How else are you going to give your custom 3.5 Shredder a vehicle?

4 comments:

  1. That thing reminds me of the classic and beloved 1978 film "Starcrash" where the one spaceship shoots torpedos at the other spaceship, and the torpedos break through the glass windows in the other spaceship, and then the torpedos land on the floor, and they open up, and dudes come out. The torpedos were full of dudes. Dudepedos.

    ...Starcrash was probably better than "Rise of Cobra."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOOD GOD THAT SOUNDS AMAZING.

      Delete
    2. Also it has Christopher Plummer and David Hasselhoff.

      Delete
  2. I think I only got one of these was because it was part of a local auction lot that netted me the Ice Dagger.

    ReplyDelete