Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Alexx Shorts: RoC Snake Eyes (7/23/09)


Well, this is it: I've finally decided to start reposting my old "Alexx Shorts" G.I. Joe reviews.  They're the reviews that lead to what eventually became this blog!  I'll be posting them in straight copy-and-paste format, separating them with bold dotted lines so you know where they begin and end, and then I'll post some final thoughts on what I think of the figure currently.

For those unfamiliar: I used to take random pictures here and there, but by the time the Rise of Cobra toys came out, I was getting annoying with how much people had been bashing the figures which were clearly better than the previous 25th Anniversary offerings.  I set out to show people how awesome they were, and things went from there, forming into "Alexx Shorts", named so because I thought I was going to keep to a short format with a few pictures.  I did not do that.


The first prerequiset Snake Eyes of RoC:

-------------------------------------------------------------


Well, my toy budget was running low due to my failing to stick to only Joes (like I told myself I would). Thankfully, this week was the little TRU sale, so I could....grab another RA Duke and also this Snake Eyes, for fodder! Yay.

Anyway, I figured I would review this Snake Eyes before tearing him apart and using the parts to...to make another Snake Eyes. Lay off, I've only got, like, 20 different versions of him so far! Hardly enough Snake Eyes'.

My original word on this guy was that he was pretty plain as SE's come, so I was going to skip him. I have plenty, after all, and the 25th v3 pretty much covered all the cool I'd ever need when it came to ninja/commando-ing. This version just seemed straight up ninja, and on top of that, really close to everyone's favorite v2. Well, I have a good 25th v2 as well, so what did I need this for?

I guess my verdict is still the same, since I've already torn this guy part as I write this. Nonetheless, after reusing the parts, I can't help but feel a void when I realized that I couldn't pick him up and play with him again as he was. My creations were cool, but this guy ended up being a pretty good toy, even if he was a boring Snake Eyes.




I mean, look at that! Barely any figures can hold a sword perfectly like that. Both hands are fully on that sword hilt! Normally I take pics at certain angles to hide the fact that one hand is kinda floating, but he's really holding that sucker! The plain body and thin arms allow for maximum poseability with nothing to get in the way. His elbows move to a perfect 90 degree angle, and even a little more inward, if you push a little. If it wasn't for that horrifying mouth of his, I'd say this Snake Eyes was passable! I'd still jazz 'em up a bit with a non-mouth head, but otherwise this figure is fun!





If there was one detail that I'd say was the best about this figure, (besides articulation) it would be the awesome clan symbol on his arm! It stands out very well and looks fantastic!



The funny thing about this figure (other than that freaky mouth) is that he comes with pretty much the bare minimum of accessories (not counting the giant launcher, which is a zipline). The sword and his trademark uzi are his buddies, here.  Nice and simple for a fast, on-the-go ninja, right?



Wrong! The final accessory is that monster bacpack! Though his harness has a spot for his sword, his backpack is also made to hold his sword, adding to the weight. Look at that thing! It's huge! It's the biggest pack in the RoC line so far! What the heck is Snake Eyes doing with it? Each one of those pockets is bulging!


What the heck is he carrying around? How can he jump and dodge and do all his ninja stuff with that monster on his back? Of course, this isn't the first SE to come with a big backpack (one of them was a launcher in itself, for pete's sake) but for some reason, this one just sticks out to me.

Anyway, to sum this up: Plain Snake Eyes with creepy mouth, but a great toy! This one is the SE to get your kids, I think. He'll hold together and moves perfectly. He doesn't get bogged down in the details (keeps it simple) and his launcher is a zipline, so it's got a little more use than the rest of them. If you can get by the looks, though, this one is for you! I'm still tempted to get another and keep 'em normal....

-------------------------------------------------------------

This one probably isn't going to be anyone's main Snake Eyes, but I do still agree with Past Alexx: The figure posed well!  Very well!  It was just a sort of ugly Snake Eyes, to me.  I hated the head, and the body looks oddly proportioned at certain angles, like super long arms or a short torso.  Doesn't look like it in these pics, though! 

This guy was kitbashed into a guy...with a gasmask.  I don't remember. The body still holds up to what I was saying, so I like moving him around and all that.  It's too bad other, better Snake Eyes figures didn't move as well as this one (or held weapons as well as this).  I can't really....suggest this one?  I guess?  But I can't say that you should stay away, if you like the look, 'cause it moves so well! 

Such a weird figure.  Not bad!  Not...great.  Just one of many Snake Eyes figures.

7 comments:

  1. "This one probably isn't going to be anyone's main Snake Eyes"

    Ummm, he's my main Snake eyes! Well until I get the retaliation ultimate one. Also you can use the head with a mouth to build a v2 toy accurate snake eyes! Yep, everyone hates the mouth but he had one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, yeah, I remember that he had one back then, and I'm glad all the remakes over the years didn't acknowledge it. Dunno why I don't like it...just creepy, I guess.

      Anyway, not surprised he's your main! Like I said, he's still a great figure in terms of articulation. Not a lot of Snake Eyes figures can hold a sword like that.

      Delete
  2. Wow TBH I had forgotten RoC Snake Eye's sculpted abs and lips. Anyway, let's be honest, what else could be more important than a gigantic backpack bulging with Combos. it's the only way to satisfy Snake Eyes' between-battle cravings. Lots of ninja training means lots of ninja snacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *sniff* all I've ever wanted was for somone to acknowledge my Combos jokes! You've made my life complete.

      Delete
    2. Combos jokes: The Combos jokes of Combos jokes.

      Delete
  3. Good figure, shame about the design but that's on the film makers not the toy sculptors.

    Rise of Cobra really kicked the figures up a notch (and then into the blessed PoC/30th)

    ReplyDelete